My relations4

Threads

Credits

Pixie Pal

Credits
Post time 2017-4-14 17:48:07 | All posts |Dock
Edited by renrane at 2017-4-14 15:07

casual art thread + bg info of characters

a quick art tutorial for y'all! sorry if it's not very detailed, it's just gonna be a basic thing,,
alright, let's get started!

cry1.png

step 1.
start with a basic sketch. it doesn't have a be pretty at this point 'cuz you're just getting the basic idea down. don't be afraid to erase or restart at this point. it's better to keep it as messy as you can tbh; i usually have to retry around 5-6 times before i get it perfect.

cry2.png

step 2.
on a new layer, trace over and clean up the sketch. this pretty much means to just add more detail and fix things. if you're not drawing digitally, i'd suggest erasing and redrawing parts until you're totally happy with it before finelining. don't be afraid to erase!!! it's better in the long run!!!!!

cry3.png

step 3.
add your basic colors. it's best not to start shading until you're absolutely sure these are the colors you want. this is the best time to recolor and tweak palettes you don't like.

tip: fairy wings are transparent so i usually just leave them blank until the shading stage later!

cry4.png

step 4.
shading!!!!
this step might look a little overwhelming so i'll break it down:
if you're coloring digitally, set that layer to 'multiply' or 'shade'!
use the watercolor or blend tool to make the shading 'soft' or just use the color tool by itself for a flatter, cel-shaded look! i usually opt for the more realistic look but it depends on what style you like.
start on one layer and then build them up to create depth. you can see where some parts look lighter, where i only used one layer, and other places darker where i had colors layered on top of each other.
to make things brighter or to shade wings, use the 'luminosity' setting on layers! it makes your colors glow!

i've also got a speedpaint that kinda explains it better???
there's a super long 'brb' in the middle that i forgot to cut, just skip it pls ;;

don't:
please don't think references are for unskilled artists! they're really important and help you understand where light falls. i don't know how to explain shading b/c i usually use references to help me! it doesn't make you a bad artist! shading is difficult no matter what! there are lots of tutorials out there as well that teach you about light source and shadows! don't be afraid to look to them for help!

cry5.png

step 5.
time for the background..... i'm....not very good at these....................... im sorry....
i don't use lines for the background b/c it fits in with pixie hollow's style and also 'cuz i'm lazy.. but the general idea is still the same. start simple, then add details.

cry.png

final.
after 'filtering', which is just adding some extra shadows and light, and finishing up all the details, you're done!

idk if this was helpful or not but hopefully seeing my process will help you guys...... somehow;;;;;;;
i tried............

~renrane

My relations0

Threads

Credits

Certified Pixie

Credits
Post time 2017-4-14 19:57:43 | All posts
Hey, Do You Use PaigeeWorld?

Comments

i liED HAHA I JUST GOT ONE ITS @MMILKSODA  Post time 2017-4-14 20:40
no, should i?  Post time 2017-4-14 20:26
Dead Inside... But Still Alive.
Reply 支持 反对

Use magic Report

My relations30

Threads

1k+

9k+

Credits

Minister

✩ Ey it's Lavy ✩

Credits

ministerSpecial contribution

<
Post time 2017-4-14 20:17:14 | All posts
I LOVE YOUR FORMATTING AND ART SDFGHJH

Comments

SAME  Post time 2017-4-15 00:03
wAAAAAAA THANKKK;;;;GFG  Post time 2017-4-14 20:26
Reply 支持 反对

Use magic Report

My relations23

Threads

6k+

Credits

Minister

~Pearly~ <3

Credits

minister

<
Post time 2017-4-14 21:33:54 | All posts
this is so great rill! I loved watching you do your art! You're not a horrible mother btw
Reply 支持 反对

Use magic Report

My relations11

Threads

2k+

18k+

Credits

Minister

~ Cat ღ

Credits

<
Post time 2017-4-14 22:52:26 | All posts
Dudeeee you are so amazing at art ); I'm so jealous <3
Reply 支持 反对

Use magic Report

My relations20

Threads

1k+

8k+

Credits

Minister

Credits

<
Post time 2017-4-15 00:04:03 | All posts
This is amazing! And I'd say you're awesome at backgrounds!!!!
This... Is my Signature
Reply 支持 反对

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign me up

Section credit rule

Archiver|mobile|banned|Developer Email|Account frozen|Privacy Policy|Fairyabc

GMT-4, 2024-4-18 07:53 , Processed in 0.186290 second(s), 120 queries .

Copyright © 2013-2022 Fairyabc